Red Deadnettle (Lamium purpureum)

When I decided that my surveying and recording days were over and that I would buy a new camera and try my hand at some snaps of wildlife I had no idea that my eyes would be opened to a new world!

For years, I would walk along with my recorder and mutter "Red Deadnettle" and walk on without a second glance. Now, as I try to get a respectable shot of just about anything, when I get home and plug the camera in to the computer I am often amazed at the beauty I had missed all those years.

OK, Red Deadnettle is hardly a rarity! It one of our most common weeds of cultivation and is now out in profusion just about anywhere and everywhere, Indeed, we will probably be pulling some out next time it stops raining and we can get in to the garden. However, looked at close up through the camera lens it becomes a different plant and a thing of rare beauty.

Well, that's how it looks to me anyway, how about you?

Comments