Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris)



If the rain doesn't spoil your late summer picnic or barbecue then there is a pretty good chance that everyone's pet hate, the common wasp, probably will!

Sadly, although extremely 'intelligent' insects they can be a bit dumb when it comes to picking up signals that a human being means them harm. As a result, the common wasp is quite prepared to fight back with that painful sting it has.

I describe it as 'intelligent' as it is one of those remarkable insects that work selflessly together for the good of its colony. Tireless workers, each with a job to do they know what to do and how to do it!

This is a photo taken earlier in the year of one collecting wood to help build the wonderful 'paper mache' nest. It is chewing up a wooden bench seat!

I like wasps; I admire wasps; but I hate wasps hanging around me when I am trying to enjoy a nice cream cake outside my favourite tea rooms!

Comments