Swallow (Hirundo rustica)

Swallow (Hirundo rustica) by Peter Orchard

All right, I agree, seeing the first one of the year does not make it summer but at least it does constitute a further sign that spring is with us.

Some years ago now I saw this swallow at Radipole Lake in Dorset around the middle of March. What surprised me at first was actually seeing one in a tree! I was sure I had never seen this before. Then, looking at it, a tired, hungry little chap it was obvious he was happy to perch anywhere just to give his wings a rest. Despite a small group of people gathering under the tree for a look he had just had enough and wanted a breather! So, for me at least, this one was very special. I hope he had a long and happy summer and a safe journey back south when the time came.

As always I have to say it seems, this is a species nowhere near as common as it once was due to the usual problems of habitat loss and insect food declining. They are more likely to be seen here on the south coast during their migration journeys than as a nesting species now.

 

Comments

  1. This post very amazsing,What surprised me at first was actually seeing one in a tree! I am sure I have never seen this before. Then, looking at it, a tired, hungry little chap it was obvious he was happy to perch anywhere just to give his wings a rest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment