Thick-headed Fly (Sicus ferrugineus)

Some species of insect are really quite unmistakable, they are so unique. Unmistakable, that is, if you know what they are.

After spending half an hour thumbing through my field guides I could not put a name to this species which annoyed me as it should have been quite obvious from the shape and the colour. In the end I gave up and posted he photograph on the Open University Ispot website [http://www.ispot.org.uk/] and within an hour or so it had been identified and three other people confirmed that it was the Thick-headed Fly (Sicus ferrugineus).

Referring back to my field guides this species is in neither of them so thanks to those enthusiasts on Ispot without whose help this would be another photograph an unidentified insect.

I guess the name thick-headed fly is descriptive of its appearance and not its mental intelligence?

Comments

  1. These must be hatching out at the moment - I found one on Knapweed locally and like you couldn't id it without help. Very odd looking fly with abdomen curled underneath...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This flower was very amazing and golden yellow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is very amazing and looking for colorful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment